Tuesday, March 5, 2013

problem? solved.

Here's a look at some of the process involved. This is the second attempt at lining up the gears, with slightly more success but still not fully functioning. 


And this was just what I needed to make my day even better.... chipped mirror finish. Thank you, canal plastic.


But I had to recut the frame anyway so life was good again when I got to this stage:


The gears appear to line up, but the problem is that the hole I drilled for the gear shaft was not exactly in the center. So when they rotate, sometimes they match up but they easily slip off track.


Some photos of the final piece with hinges and all:




Various things I learned from this project:
- the exponential impact of a small measuring error
- how to use the bandsaw (truth: never used it before this project!), plexi cutter, jewelry saw, and sanding machine
- when you think you're almost done, you probably have a good 2 or 3 days of work left... at the very least
- dowels and how to create a simple gearshaft
- having extra material can literally save your life
- mirrored plexi melts and cracks easily

No comments:

Post a Comment